Monday, October 26, 2015

Finding Week

On Tuesday we had exchanges with the STL's.  I learned how to street contact better.  

I thought that the reason we weren't finding investigators was because people didn't want to talk to us, but as it turns out,  I was trying to find people the wrong way . .   If there is a wrong way...

Anyway, before this week we had only found two new investigators . . .this week we found eight!  

I won't share every experience, but I will share one.  On Friday night we were out late.  We had about 20 minutes before we had to head back, so we pulled up to a street to get out and walk.  There was a big buff black kid who walked up to our car and told us that we were parked outside of his house.  He asked us if we needed anything and we said that we really wanted to share a scripture with him.  He said that would be fine, and so we got out of the car, and he walked over to his friends to smoke weed for a second...  My companion was across the street looking at the house number for a potential investigator and he just started running over to her (he was limping) and I freaked out.  I thought he was high, so I told my companion to get in the car.  She was freaked out too...it was kind of a scary street for us to be on at night.  We probably shouldn't have been there, but anyway we got in the car to leave and this kid came up and told us he needed the scripture.  He was really serious about it so we got his address and told him we would come back later. 

The next day, we went to the same street to try the same potentials, and he just happened to be outside again.  He seemed normal (not on drugs) so we talked to him.  He is 19 and going to college, studying accounting.  He doesn't have family around, he lives with a friend, he works and pays for everything himself, he was raised in a boys home, and had just torn his Achilles yesterday.  We listened to him for awhile and then started talking about our Heavenly Father.  We taught him how to pray, and we told him that God does love him, that he is his Father, and is always there for him.  He started to tear up, but the most powerful moment was when he looked at me, still wondering if I was telling the truth.  I could see the wheels spinning in his mind, and I knew he was just trying to take everything in.  He looked at me straight in the eyes and I could tell he was wondering if I was telling the truth.  I said "I PROMISE".  

I knew it.  I could promise him that I wasn't lying.  He told me there was something in my eyes that made it real, and he absolutely broke.  I want him to be converted, and I want to help him, but even if he doesn't get baptized, someone now knows with me that Heavenly Father is really there. He needed to know he was real, and I ended up being the tool in that process. 

We had many experiences this week that were wonderful, but even if we only had this one, it would have been totally worth it.  I love being able to testify every day that God is real and He knows us individually.  I'm excited for this upcoming week and I hope everyone has a good Halloween!

Love, Sister Webb

No comments:

Post a Comment