Wednesday, December 7, 2016

CALI CRAZY

OH MY WEEK!  WHERE DO I BEGIN!

Last p-day we get a call from the mission president saying that Sister Equihua's family is going to come pick her up from LA for the evening so they can fill out some immigration forms.  Sister Equihau is our 3rd companion waiting in our mission for her visa to Mexico.  So we met her family!  They are really neat people.  So Sister Equihua was with them till the early afternoon on Tuesday.  We got to go to the beach too! 

Tuesday came around, and I WAS SO DIZZY.  I had been crazy dizzy (like world spinning dizzy) for four-ish days.  Thankfully we were at the mission office for the new missionary training, and I got to talk to the nurse.  Our companion (new missionary) was still gone, and told us she wouldn't be back for a while longer. My companion and the mission nurse made me go to the urgent care in Huntington Beach and they told me I have vertigo.  I thought vertigo was only for old people, but turns out it's not!   I've never stopped working when I've been sick, because it makes me anxious and I feel bad about it.  God allowed me to get sick on a day when I wouldn't be working anyway! That was a little tender mercy.

We had a super stellar lesson with Mike and Miley that night. Miley has been investigating the church for a while and both of them have hard pasts.  Miley really opened up about her life, her opinion of the church, and her relationship with God.  I think she might be baptized soon!  We still need to set a day, but we are not sure when yet. 

We also had dinner with an investigator at Sister Howes house (she's a member).  This was the first time I have invited an investigator to a dinner with a member.  It was a wonderful experience!  The member and her really got along great, and she loved it.  If you want to make a missionary happy tell them to try and bring an investigator or a less active member to dinner!

I was asked to give a training in district meeting on commitments, and it went well but then guess what.... THE AP'S CALLED AND ASKED ME TO GIVE A TRAINING IN MLC ON COMMITMENTS!  DO YOU KNOW WHAT MLC IS??  It's missionary leadership council, and DO YOU KNOW WHO GOES TO THAT MEETING??? THE MISSION PRESIDENT AND ALL THE HOTTEST ELDERS IN THE MISSION!!!!  I almost yelled at Elder Oniki (the AP who asked me to train), AND I was the only one giving a training except for the AP's and President.  I was so scared!  I was shaking and flipping out all morning.  It actually went really well though.  My companion said I was amazing and President said I did a good job too, but I'm still mad at Elder Oniki!

We also got to go on exchanges this week. I was with Sister Greener in the beach ward, and she is the sweetest missionary ever.  She is a twin and has an awesome life story. 

I love the new christmas initiative.  It's so much fun to tell random people on the street to pull our their smartphone to watch a video.  They all love the video. So make sure you watch it!

I've been thinking about lots of things this week, and one thing I have been thinking about is listening. I've gotten so much better at listening to people on my mission, but I've learned that the friends who stick around are the ones that listen.  They are the kind of people that ask about my life and how I'm doing, they are the friends who actually care.  I want to be that kind of friend to people because I like having friends like that.  I've thought back on lots of my "friends" and realized that the ones who listen to me and care about me personally are very few...but they have never left me, and I have never left them.  So maybe to light the world this season, you could actually listen to someone.  Even if they are not struggling, just ask about their life, how they are, what they love, what drives them crazy, and tell them how amazing they are. There is more to "true friendship" than having a true friend.  Half of the fun comes by being a good friend!

I love you all so much, have a wonderful miracle filled week!

Love, Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment