Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Chilly Thanksgiving in Cali

So this week has been absolutely insane.

Monday night, my companion went to the departure dinner so I was with the beach sisters, running around the Beach ward, saying goodbye to all the Beach members.... because Sister Montague was leaving. It was really strange, but it was fun! I also got to see all of the departing missionaries and that was a treat. Some of my favorite sisters in the mission went home this transfer.  I've never seen missionaries going home this close up before and it's so strange!  I don't like it at all, it's super sad, and it's really weird to think that I'm going to be doing that in a few months!

Tuesday we got to pick up our new missionary. Her name is Sister Equihua, and she is from LA, but she is going to Mexico on her mission.  I get to be her companion for 5 more weeks, then she will leave.  She is a really good missionary. She is a convert of two years and is super funny. She loves the church and she speaks fluent Spanish so we can officially talk to everyone who is not Vietnamese (Westminster has a high Vietnamese population too).  

Wednesday was district meeting and they trained us on how to present the new Christmas initiative!  I'm so excited for this, it's going to be awesome! Look on mormon.org to see it :)

Thursday was Thanksgiving and HOLY PHAT!!!  We. had. so. much. food.  The day started out good, we had a meeting with our ward mission leader (I think he took pity on us so he held a meeting) and then we got to meet with Brother B. a nice less active man who is really smart!  Then the fun began, we got to go first to Eddie's family party.  He is Samoan, so all the Samoans there were so excited to see us.  We had to leave early (so we didn't get to eat, thank heavens) because we had to get to another dinner. We had an amazing dinner with Tammy and her Kids (the recent converts).  They had the WHOLE spread, and it was all super good. They had these garlic brussel sprouts that were AMAZING, and the potatoes were way good.  Then we went to the Miranda's (a recent convert/ investigating family) and their food was super good too. They had Ceviche which is a Mexican thing and it's so good. I've had it a few times on my mission from Latino families I've served with. They also had the best sweet potatoes I've ever had in my life. Then we went to the Bower's and by they time we were done with them, I wanted to curl up in a ball and die.  Needless to say, I didn't eat anything for about a day and a half hahahaha. 

The weekend was really rainy and cold.  However I feel very blessed because my mission is not usually rainy and cold. We also got to see Vince's (our investigator) chickens, and we were taught by a Jewish couple, and some guy gave us a book he wrote on with his philosophy of life (you can tell how great of a missionary I am, I'm supposed to be giving people books and I'm supposed to be teaching people about my religion... but whatever).

I don't have a spiritual thought this week but I love you all!! 

Love, Jes

No comments:

Post a Comment