Monday, January 23, 2017

Not counting down . . . sorry . . . don't wanna

SO THIS WEEK WAS HARD and AMAZING all at the same time. 

I'll start with the miracles:  First, we got to see Jenny this week.  When we went to the Elder Holland training I prayed and asked God to reveal to me what I need to share with Jenny to help her become more converted. He told me to relate the entire second half of Elder Holland's training.  He taught about the exchange between Jesus and Nicodemus. The idea behind it is that Jesus was trying to communicate the idea that Nicodemus needed to be baptized and Nicodemus didn't get it.  He had us identify all the reasons why Nicodemus didn't understand, and compared that to the people who don't accept the gospel in Southern California.  He then told us that we need to overcome our barriers, and that God does care for the one. We used the same analogy with Jenny but with the Woman of Samaria at the well.  The woman didn't understand the concept of living water.  With Jenny we drew it out and tried to figure out the Samaritan woman's barriers.  Jenny understood, but what stood out to her the most was that Christ cares for and teaches the one. Whether they are an adulteress, outcast, Samaritan woman, or if they are someone famous who consistently sins and won't give his heart to God. HE STILL TEACHES THEM, HE STILL LOVES THEM!  No sinner, no ANYBODY is beneath Him. Jenny started to cry and told us many of her barriers to baptism.  She told us that the story and concept was exactly what she needed to hear that day.  I LOVE HER!!!!

Second, we were street contacting after one of my companion's doctor appointments (she's quite sick with back pain and leg pain).  There was a boy ahead of us.  We had planned to find a new investigator that day. My companion wanted to be diligent (bless her heart) so despite what the doctor said, she started running to this boy.  She contacted him and we began to share our message. We set a return appointment for the next day, and went to meet him. He told us his life story.  I have never in all my life met ANYONE who has gone through as much as he has gone through. His story is too personal so I won't share, but he is on 19, and most adults never have to experience what he has already gone through. God allowed us to share a message with him that touched his heart. He is exited to learn more, and I'm excited to teach him. 

Third, it was Saturday, and we hadn't yet achieved many of the goals we had set for the week. It wasn't totally our fault, with my companion not feeling well.  We had many doctor appointments and we also had a training this week.  Friday night we really sought revelation as we planned for the next day and we had members coming with us for part of the day.  So we set out to work, after another doctor appointment, and ended up finding a Syrian family who moved here two weeks ago and is struggling with many things.  They were excited for the gospel!  We also met a Latino lady who started crying in the doorway because we shared what she needed to hear.

We had Mission Leader Conference (MLC) this week, and that was fun.  President Patterson trained us mostly on how to be good leaders, which was really helpful.  I feel like I'm still learning so much about how to lead.

I am so grateful for my Savior.  It seems as though when you can do the least, or when you are struggling to do what you use to know how to do, he helps you over-achieve and stretch beyond your bounds.  I have been praying hard this week for many things and because of His love and grace, I have received answers beyond answers to many prayers I didn't even know He could answer.  I love Him so much, I wish I could express through a letter what I feel, but I know He is real and I know He is there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment