Monday, July 25, 2016

Mom & Dad's Homecoming and their thoughts to Jessica

My Mom & Dad reported their mission yesterday. It was an incredible experience for me to see the changes in them and the impact they had on the people in Whittier.  There is no doubt in my mind that Heavenly Father sent Jessica to their mission for very specific reasons.  When her homesickness was almost unbearable the first few days, my Dad sat down with her and told her to give it a solid three months of full effort and dedication with no thought of going home.  She did it and it proved to be a turning point on her mission.  Here are my Dad's thoughts to her today as he is now trying to adjust to being home and missing the mission so much:


Well we are done.  We gave our talks in church yesterday and had the big family party.  Scott drove me down to Provo to hear Sharron and Val report their mission at 9am and came back to report ours at 1 pm.  When Judy told the story during her talk of you coming to the California, Long Beach Mission, their was an audible gasp in the congregation.  They laughed when she said, "When you go on a senior mission make sure to request that a grandchild follow you there!" 

I have not unpacked.  The adjustment is harder than I thought.  I think the axiom that I used with you that it takes 3 months to adjust is going to apply to me for coming home.  You cried when we came to see you after your had been out 2 days and we were strong.  I cried when you called the day we left and you were the strong one - thanks!  Really it is hard!  We will miss our Wednesday lunch at Blaze Pizza with you and your companions.  Good luck!  Pause during your prayers to feel the love coming from our prayers for you.  Love, Grandpa 


3 comments:

  1. Family and missions are such great blessings in their own right, but when your family can crossover both - what a blessing to all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love what I hear the love of your family and for our father in heaven makes me know how much a family gives to each other and the real meaning of a family

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love what I hear the love of your family and for our father in heaven makes me know how much a family gives to each other and the real meaning of a family

    ReplyDelete