Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The Week of Unexpected Turns

Hi Everyone!  We've had a good week and alot has happened . . . 

1.  J and G- So yesterday we went to a lesson with Brother P (LOVE HIM- he has a daughter on a mission that went to the MTC the same day as me).  We walk in and we asked if they had read the BOM... they hadn't (surprise surprise).  So we read the best chapter in the whole book (3 Nephi 11). Then we talked about the importance of reading the Book of Mormon.  The spirit was strong and I invited them to be baptized- as I have done with them many times before- and they said "I've already been baptized".  I just thought, oh great here we go again. Let's explain the priesthood and flip to that one old same scripture and blah blah blah blah... WELL he was like, "Let me explain" and he told us how he was baptized catholic and then he told us how he was BAPTIZED MORMON!  He is totally a less active member. He just busted up laughing and I know I'm a sinner but I wanted to hit him over the head with my bible.  Do you want to know how many times we counted him as an investigator lesson!  He is such a tease!  He said he was testing us to see if we were good missionaries.  He isn't on the ward list or anything, and nobody in the ward had any idea- but he wants us to come back and his wife is interested.  

2.  So we had an appointment scheduled with a man who is investigaing.  I was an idiot and started going to plans from the day before (I don't know what I was thinking, I guess I was just tired and had looked on the wrong day).  We pulled up and I realized my mistake, but we decided to contact a few people outside.  This big Hispanic guy with tons of tattoos started to walk towards us- and we decided we could probably take him (or not) but we decided to contact him.  Turns out he is the less active son from an active member of our ward.  He had gotten heavily into drugs and he told us he wants to change his life. So we went over a few days later and did an ARP lesson with him.  His parents are so happy.

3.  BROTHER W is one of my favorite people in the ward and he made us a chocolate cake :) He's amazing. As a missionary, you feel so much gratitude for ward members who take such good care of the missionaries!

4.  "J"  CAME TO CHURCH "J" CAME TO CHURCH "J" CAME TO CHURCH- we went over to his house and made chocolate chip pancakes on Sunday morning (the good kind that I'm allergic to) and he said he would be there.  So he came to church and bishop gave him a calling. He is officially the primary pianist- and he is so excited. He is also going to come to our lesson with another less active man in the ward.  I love this kid!  He is so awesome!

5.  We were contacting in the park on Saturday (I totally understand why missionaries everywhere say they hate Pokemon Go..... but our church building is one of the safe houses or something, so we have almost given a few church tours because of that game. I think God should re-vamp it and direct everyone to our church building on Sunday at 9:)  We talked to this guy named Joe. We had a good time and we told him to come to church with us the next day. It was a pretty normal contact but HE ACTUALLY SHOWED UP AT CHURCH!  We picked him up as a new investigator at the end of the meeting.  That is the first time that has happened to me on my mission. I wish my actual investigators would come to church sometimes!

It was a GOOD WEEK! Sorry for the long letter but I bet at least one person will read it! 
Love, Jess








No comments:

Post a Comment