Monday, October 17, 2016

Spam & Conversion

This week was crazy! We have been trying to get our feet under us and especially me as I adjust to my new assignment and responsibilities.  We were busier than I think I've ever been.  A few days we forgot to eat lunch!  

On Sunday we had FIVE investigators at church. It was wonderful.  We are teaching a family that I really love. My biggest adventure this week was trying SPAM for the first time.  I actually liked it!  My mom probably won't fix it for me when I get home, so I better enjoy it while I can:)  I am in Westminister which is just north of Huntington Beach.  It is beautiful here and cooler than La Mirada.  I saw the ocean for the first time on my mission!  We were dropping some sister off in Huntington Beach and I was so happy because I love the ocean!

I really love my mission, the work is rolling forward and it is so much fun.  We do lots of tracting- but my new mission president changed the rules. He doesn't want us to plan our day around tracting.  So basically we set appointments with people and when they fall through we tract by them. My area is HUGE compared to my first area, but compared to other missions it's tiny. I'm in the smallest mission in the world.

I've been thinking a lot about conversion and how it can be a difficult process for many.  There are a  lot of negative things, true and untrue, about our church.  Faith is so important in conversion!  Sometimes you have to look at the reasons why the church is true instead of the hard things it says or does. Believe it or not, the "pro" list outweighs the "con" list (I've actually made one).  The doctrines, feelings and opinions in this church are pretty bold.  But you can't forget that the God we believe in destroyed cities because of wickedness and is constantly declaring repentance and rebuking His children for not following his ways.  Even the Savior spoke boldly.  So boldly that they took His life.  Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ do love us SO MUCH. They would do, and have done everything for us, but salvation was never easy. I find for many people it's much easier to not go to church, to not go on a mission, to not obey the word of wisdom, to not read the scriptures, to not be Mormon.... but I believe in God. I know He wants me to do something about the feelings I've had, and when I pray like Joseph Smith did and ask "Which church is correct, or is there a church that is all true" I always receive the answer that it is this church.  Even if we get yelled at all day with this and that and told by others how they hate our church, I still know it is true.  It's not because I'm stubborn or prideful, It's because of the Spirit.  One of my favorite talks this conference was by Elder Ballard entitled, "To Whom Shall We Go?".  Here is  the link: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2016/10/to-whom-shall-we-go?lang=eng/. I would recommend it to anyone who is struggling with doubt and fear, or who may feel inadequate or unworthy.  It is wonderful!

I promise that there is nothing in this world you can do that would cut you off from God.  Sin can be forgiven!  That is why we have repentance, so everyone can be worthy to return to God. Even the worst sinners can repent. WE ALL FIT INTO GOD'S PLAN!  We always have.  

Love you all,
Jess


No comments:

Post a Comment